Mechanical shaft seals provide a modern system of containing fluid in pumps, compressors, agitators and other rotating equipment by means of two mating faces acting against each other and operating close enough to attain a "no visible leakage" operation.
- They are easier to maintain than braided packing
- They do not take a toll on the surface of the shaft or the sleeve
- They can absorb changes in pressure
- They can be repaired or their parts can be replaced
- They provide minimal product loss